So, in my previous article, I’ve mentioned how to make your own tofu at home. Well, it was more an article to see if it was actually worth making your own tofu.
The answer you can read right here.
Now, I’d like to focus on what to do with Tofu. Because it’s so versatile that a lot of people don’t have a clue on what to do with it!
And basically, you can do anything you want with it. So in the beginning, it might be good to get a bit of guidance.
You can also use your tofu block as it is, but you’ll see that there will be a huge lack of flavor.
In this article I won’t only show how to make your own Chicken-Flavored Tofu, I’ll also explain how to make your own delicious Flatbread!
To give you a quick idea, Flatbread isn’t hard at all to make and it will only cost you about 10 minutes to make!
How To Make Chicken Flavored Tofu
This is also very easy to make yourself, and you don’t even have to make your own tofu for it if you don’t want to. You can just buy your block of tofu from the supermarket and follow the recipe down below!
Tofu can take on whichever flavor you’d like to give it. So, if you’d like to trick your family a little bit, this might be a great recipe. I’ve given it to colleagues and told them it was actually chicken. They did notice a little difference, but they mentioned they could’ve been easily fooled!
- Prep Time 30 Minutes
- Cook Time 20 Minutes
- Total Time 50 Minutes
- Serves 2 People
- 1 Block of Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika (Or combo Paprika and Liquid Smoke)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- First, we're going to start by putting something heavy on our tofu. Put it in a colander in the sink and something heave on top, like a cooking mortar.
- Leave this for somewhere between 15 - 30 minutes to get most of the liquid out. You can already pre-heat the oven.
- Meanwhile you can already put the herbs, soy sauce, oil and ketchup together.
- Mix it well.
- Take the tofu and just take it apart by hand.
- Put these pieces into the marinade and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Corn Starch and mix together.
- You can add more paprika powder if you'd like.
- Put the marinated shreds onto a baking tray with a baking sheet for 20 minutes on 390°F or 200°C.
- Take them out when they are cripy.
Often people freeze their tofu the night before. It releases all of the liquid out of the tofu giving it a meatier texture. In this case, it wouldn’t be that necessary as you’d bake the pieces in the oven. This also releases a lot of moist.
This Chicken Flavored Tofu is great with whatever chicken dishes you have. Just make sure that you don’t put them into a sauce of some kind again. They soak up the liquid once again and will lose their crispy and meaty structure.
To make chicken parmigiana, you can add a teaspoon of nutritional yeast to the marinade. Your tofu will taste a little bit cheesy. And if you’re a vegetarian, it’s good to get some extra B12 into your system!
Making your own flatbread
Did you know it’s super easy to make your own flatbread? I always thought it was super hard to make this dish yourself. But truth has to be said, if you want to make it, you just need water and flour.
There are of course many different ways to make it, however, I always make mine vegan. Adding Greek yogurt instead of water makes it a more creamy bread and it really adds more flavor.
However, if you can’t eat dairy, you can easily use the recipe down below.
Easy Flatbread Recipe
This is an easy recipe and doesn’t need a lot of things. It doesn’t have yeast in it, so it won’t raise too much. Also, it’s not gluten free, but feel free to experiment with some gluten-free flour!
- Prep Time 30 Minutes
- Cook Time 15 Minutes
- Total Time 45 Minutes
- Serves 4 People
- 1 1/2 Cup / 180 gr. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Cup / 10 cl water
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and the salt.
- Add the olive oil.
- Gently start adding the water. It's better to add little by little, than adding too much.
- Kneed the dough until it firms one mass, make sure it doesn't stick onto your hands anymore.
- Put it in a little bowl with some foil and let it rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Take your dough and kneed it a little again.
- Divide the ball of dough into smaller pieces. Smaller balls of dough make smaller flatbread. With a rolling pin roll out the pieces of dough.
- Add some oil into a skillet and put it on medium heat.
- Put in the flat pieces of dough now. Let them fry for about 2.5 minutes on each side.
- Make sure you add more oil when making the others, you want them to be crisp and golden brown.
- Serve them warm with your favorite Tofu Chicken!
This is just the basic recipe of flatbread of course. You can do many other things with it if you’d like. You can add herbs into it or seeds. Although, seeds might make it hard to roll the dough.
If you aren’t looking at how many calories you are taking in, then you might also add a bit of herbal butter or oil to the flatbread after frying it. This will give it a richer flavor, but it will also make it a bit more greasy.